Thursday, March 22, 2012

A520.1.6.RB - Self-Awareness Reyes, Cassandra

Describe how your level of self-awareness has changed since you began your MSLD program with respect to the "Five Core Aspects of Self-Awareness"



Core Self Evaluation

I feel as though my self- awareness has changed in a variety of ways since beginning the Leadership program. In regards to my Core Self Evaluation, I feel as though I have been able to guide my personality attributes to help guide my behavior and decision making, in both personal and professional environments. Core self evaluation uncovers levels of self esteem, self efficacy, emotional stability and self control. Therefore I feel as though my self esteem and self efficacy level has risen a great deal since joining the course.

As an introvert, I used to feel as though, I was at less of an advantage due to the personality traits of the extroverts I would be in competition with or working with, however over the course of the last two classes I have grown to realize the benefits of being an introvert and actually learned about a number of famous introverts who have been extremely successful, which gave me the confidence to embrace the introvert I am at heart. I also feel as though my emotional stability and self control have grown a lot since the beginning of the course as I feel I am more in control of my emotions and actions in a professional environment but even more so in my personal life.

Emotional Intelligence

I feel as though my emotional intelligence has also grown a lot since the starting of this course, as I tend to be more aware of the emotions of the individuals around me. I have learned that this is key in a professional environment, especially in a team setting. I think it is very important for managers to know and understand the emotional cues their subordinates are giving off, as their job performance may sometimes suffer from internal or external issues that are going on. I also think it is important for employees to understand the emotional intelligence of their managers or supervisors, so they may have an understanding as to why certain decisions are being made sometimes.

Attitudes Towards Change

            I believe that this is probably one of the areas I have grown most in so far, since starting this course. I think that my adaptability to various situations has allowed me the ability to gain control of certain situations I would usually have been uncomfortable with. I have grown to learn that I must continue to work on my weaknesses so they are no longer looked at as weaknesses but simply as an area that may need improvement.

            I also believe that while I have always taken responsibility for my actions, that I am also more in control of expressing the mistakes that I have made, taking responsibility from those mistakes and in turn learning from them. I believe that I have become less fearful in voicing my mistakes, as I know that mistakes are a part of everyday life and without them, you would never have the opportunity for improvement. I feel as though I am more successful in learning and growing because I have less of a fear of being viewed as someone who makes mistakes, instead of someone who makes them and learns from them to become better.

Cognitive Style

I feel as though my cognitive style has also grown a great deal from the start of this program until now. I feel this way because I feel as though my personal thought processes, perceptions and methods of acquiring and storing information is at a more advanced level than it used to be. I feel as though I look at a problem with a more open mind and allow myself more options in figuring out solutions to the issue at hand. Before I began the course, I would choose obvious solutions to an issue I would face and then most likely get stuck with how to solve the problem. Since the start of the program I feel like I can think outside the box now and come up with resolutions that are not so obvious to come to better, more effective solutions that can be used in the long run.

Values

I feel like my values have allowed me the ability to identify my personal standards and moral judgments and have allowed me to grow as an individual as I learn to embrace the challenges that I face throughout the years. I feel that professionally I have grown to be loyal and honest and hard working. I feel that I have learned to be a team player and have also learned what it takes to be a manager and leader. I truly believe that my level of integrity and confidence has also grown a great deal throughout the years and has provided me with the ability to truly believe that I can do what I set my heart on. I feel that my values have and will continue to strengthen as I continue to expand upon my education and challenge myself to become a better mother, wife, daughter, sister, and employee.

 Cassandra R.

No comments:

Post a Comment