- What
are a few words that describe your decision-making style?
After
researching some decision making styles, I feel as though my style may be change
from time to time, mostly based upon the situation at hand. If I had to choose
I would say that my decision making style is a mix between a systematic style
and procrastination style.
The
systematic style of decision making identifies the issue and then evaluates
every possible course of action. I must admit I use this decision making style
even for the simplest of things, which I must also admit sometimes puts me at a
loss because sometimes I may take too long to make a decision that can really
be irrelevant at times. I have tried to open my eyes to realizing that if it is
not a life changing decision, then maybe I can be a bit more intuitive in
nature with the decisions that I’m making. However, when it comes to my family,
personal life (such as my health), or my professional life, I would have to say
that this style of decision making has truly allowed me to make some very good
choices with the difficult decisions or scenarios that have been placed in
front of me.
I feel as though systematic decision
making allows for the freedom of challenging all of your resources in order to
make an informed, knowledgeable decision, in which you will more likely feel
comfortable making. I think my systematic approach to certain things, provides
me with the comfort level that I sometimes need when making a decision to know
that I have exhausted all of my resources and found an answer or solution that
I feel would best fit the situation at hand.
The procrastination style of
decision making does not prove that people who use this strategy do not want to
make the decisions they are faced with but involves delaying the decision
making process until enough factors have been evaluated to make an informed
decision or that enough time has gone by for the situation to stabilize itself.
I feel as though there may be certain situations where procrastination would be
a benefit in a choice of style for decision making as there are times when,
what seems to be a problem at first, somehow works itself out in the end or the
procrastination process allows you to see the full extent of the issue and what
steps can be taken toward the problem that would cause positive changes to
occur.
2.
What are the opposites of the words you chose?
I
believe the opposites of the words that I chose in relation to decision making
styles would be intuitive and individualistic. Intuitive decision making
relates to the spontaneous nature of making decisions. Individuals who use this
approach are usually comfortable with the “trial and error” or “hit or miss”
approach. Individualistic decision making is when an individual evaluates the
options of making a decision and bases their decision solely on what they feel
is the best solution, without any input from others.
- Could
you see any benefits to making decision using an approach that is based on
either the opposites or somewhere in-between and what outcomes would you
expect to see?
Yes. I can definitely see benefits to decision
making using an approach that is based on either the opposites or somewhere in
between. I believe that the Intuitive approach may be used in certain scenarios
where spontaneous nature is welcomed or the individual is comfortable with taking
a chance. I would have to say that my husband tends to have this approach on a
variety of things in our personal lives, while it trends to drive me a bit
crazy, because I can be a bit anal when it comes to planning, he loves the idea
of spontaneity and fully enjoying the “what if’s” of life. The Intuitive
approach in instances like this have allowed me to loosen and take challenges
both personally and professionally and have also taught me to learn how to be okay
with an outcome that wasn’t necessarily planned.
Individualistic decision making is another decision making
approach which allows someone to be in charge of what they feel the best
decision would be. The best example I could give about this approach would be
choosing a job which you feel would suit you best and where you would be
happiest. My husband is currently applying to many aviation and aerospace
related fields in which he hopes to pursue an engineering position where he
would like to work on propulsion. He has started to receive a few phone calls
on a few positions that he has applied for. There have been a variety of family
members that have edged him on to take the first job that is offered to him;
however he would also like to give himself some options. As he continues to
weigh the pros and cons of the employment opportunities he is being offered, I
keep reminding him that while he does takes opinions into consideration, I
truly believe that this is a decision that he should make on his own. I remind
him that he is the one who will have to wake up every morning to go to work and
he is the one who would like to love his job. I remind him that any decision
that he makes I will support him, however I think he must choose which position
he feels would be best for him in the long run. I think in this scenario an
individualistic approach is best as he is the only one who knows what will
truly make him happy in the end. In my opinion I would rather get paid much
less and be happy and content with my job, than get paid tons of money and
dread going to work everyday.
No comments:
Post a Comment