Discuss how you might develop those values and also align them
with the values of the individuals in the organization.
The three main basic components to an ethical
community are imperative to assist with the success of an organization. These
values help align the organization with its employees and offer a sustainable
environment where each individual who takes part in the success of the
organization can understand the part they play as well as the part the organization
plays in its specific industry. The three values of an ethical community
include, trust, loyalty and solidarity. While these things may seem minor or
simple in nature, the role each value plays is essential to the success of each
employee, the position they hold, their department and the company as a whole.
Trust. I think Embry-Riddle
Worldwide does a great job at incorporating trust into their organization,
however there are times when there is also a downside to the trust the
organization has as certain individuals have taken advantage of that trust in
the past. For example, I am currently pregnant and about to give birth any day
now. Due to my current circumstances my boss has allowed me to work from home
the past few days just in case I need to be rushed to the hospital or in case
of any other circumstances that may take place. Due to having the opportunity
to do this, I do not need to use my personal leave as I am able to work from
the comfort of my own home, therefore I do not waste any time that I would need
to spend with my newborn daughter.
The instance where trust in the
organization has had a downfall, is the teleworking experience I believe they
have had. There are a variety of teleworkers from different departments who
work from home on a daily basis. While there are a number of excellent
teleworkers, there have also been instances where teleworking has not worked
out for the organization as certain employees would take advantage of working
from home. Their work was either lacking or not getting done and the image of
teleworking started to disintergrate. Therefore, teleworking is now looked upon
as an absolute last case scenario and is very, very rare to achieve. While I
can understand the change of heart the organization has on teleworkers, I also
think that it is unfair to those employees who have proven themselves and would
do an amazing job if provided the opportunity to telework. While it is common
in almost all organizations, it is a shame that one bad apple can ruin the
bunch.
Loyalty. I think Embry-Riddle does a
great job at being loyal to its employees but most of all to their students. I
believe that each individual strives to place a commitment on assisting each
other with leading our prospects, applicants and students to the right people
who would be able to assist them. I think that the company is loyal in doing
their best to provide the best customer experience and education to their
students and help them to pave a path in which they can be content with and
proud of. I also believe that as an Embry-Riddle employee we are subject to the
loyalty provided to us by our mangers and the organization as a whole. The
benefits and opportunitites we each receive are just a few examples of the
loyalty the organization has in ensuring that its staff and faculty and all the
other individuals who make Embry-Riddle a success are taken care of and
provided with the best.
Solidarity. In my personal opinion,
while solidarity does exist as a positive in our organization, I would like to
see this value improved in our organization in certain circumstances. While I
have seen solidarity take place from individual to individual, I can’t say that
I have seen much of it take place from department to department. I believe that
with solidarity there comes conflict as it is sometimes difficult for
individuals to separate their personal interests from the interests of others.
I think it is human nature for individuals to feel as though their interests
are more valuable than that of others, which makes it difficult to step back
and recognize the importance and value of others suggestions, concerns, and
other significant things that make a team what it truly is. When one believes
that their interest is of more significance than another’s it can be difficult
and sometimes impossible to care for another’s inetersts and even more so, to
take action on behalf of something or someone you don’t truly believe in.
I wouldn’t say that my organization
is missing any specific values, as I believe that it is a wonderful
organization to work for and it has provided me with a number of opportunities
I would have never had. However, I do feel that there are a number of values in
any organization that can be improved to always ensure that the individuals who
run the organization are content, happy and challenged in their positions. As
the years go on companies change, target markets alter, and organizations are
constantly faced with challenges that they must overcome in order for them to
continue to be successful.
I believe that if Embry-Riddle continues to brush up
on its values and challenge themselves in the industry with their competitors
along with their staff and faculty, that they will continue to be successful in
their efforts. I think that to align the employees of Embry-Riddle with the
values of the organization you have to start from the bottom up. Every person
needs to be on board to ensure a smooth flowing working system. When it is
found that there are individuals who are not align with the values of the
organization, then we must ensure that the values of the company are understood
and that there is acceptance of what those values are. An overlap of personal
and organizational values must take place to ensure that success is mutually
enforced. “In the end, each person must find a personal relationship to the organizational
values that are important to the company, whether those values are similar to
or different from his or her own.”
References
|
Denning,
S. (2011). The Leader’s Guide to Storytelling: Mastering the Art and
Discipline of Business Narrative (Revised and updated edition). San
Francisco, CA: John Wiley & Sons/Jossey-Bass
|
No comments:
Post a Comment