1. What behaviors seemed to help your team
successfully complete its task?
I believe that each of our group
members possessed team interdependence as each member was able to independently
contribute to the performance of the team. It was apparent that the success of
the group and the task at hand was contingent upon the assistance and
performance of the other group members. Cooperation between team member
suggestions also helped our team successfully complete its task as everyone was
open to the suggestions on how the work would be submitted, how the assignment
should have been completed and the group's ground rules in each member's
responsibility.
Collaboration was another behavior
that assisted with the success of the team as each member was able to interface
with one another allowing the team to be effective in its quick decision
making. Each team member contributed to the overall objective of the group and
the climate of the collaboration allowed for excellent group efficiency.
2. What factors inhibited decision-making
or problem-solving?
The group performed well together
for its first assignment and we did not have any specific clear issues with
decision making or communication, however I did notice that each member had a very different personal schedule
which caused for each of us to be very aware of checking into the discussion
board frequently. For instance, Glynn had a number of games she had to attend throughout
the week, Richard's wife is pregnant and he informed us he may have difficulty
in logging in and checking the discussion board as he may be in the hospital
and I had a few appointments throughout the week for myself and my family I had
to keep track of. Due to everyone's outside responsibility's it was important
for each of us to log in as best as we could to ensure everyone was still on
track with who was responsible for what and ensuring the assignment was submitted
on time.
Another factor that may have
inhibited decision making was role ambiguity. During the first few days of the
discussion board everyone stated what their responsibilities would be and the
ground rules of the group. Glynn stated she would submit the final product if
that was okay with everyone and we all agreed. I informed the group that I
would be the "back up" submitter of the assignment, as I thought it
was a good idea to have one just in case of an emergency or other responsibilities
of the individual who would originally submit the assignment.
By Wednesday I noticed we were
done with the assignment and it was ready for submission, as Glynn had informed
us earlier in the week she would be busy with her games, I took the initiative
in submitting the assignment early so she would not have to worry about it as I
knew she was busy. I submitted the assignment and informed the team of the
change. While I was a bit hesitant in doing this as Glynn stated she would
submit it, and I did not want to cause any confusion, I thought the decision in
submitting it was best for the overall team. I think things like this help with
bridging the team together and allowing for effective decision making and
problem solving.
3. How much time was spent on
decision-making and problem-solving?
The group made decisions fairly
quickly and there were not any real issues for the first assignment. I think
one decision making issue that arose was when Harish had suggested the Team
Charter should have been written in a solo voice as a group and Glynn had
suggested there were portions of the assignment which should be done
individually. I suggested we each incorporate our individual thoughts on each
section and then blend everyone’s thoughts together. Harish, Glynn and I listed
our thoughts and Richard went ahead and listed everything as a group. The final
product came out great and everyone worked very well together.
4. How was information shared among team
members?
Information was shared was mostly
via the discussion board provided to us, however we also all exchanged numbers
and personal emails so we would be able to get in touch with each other easily
and just in case there was any major confusion we may have needed to discuss.
Any time each member had a suggestion we listed it on the discussion board so
each member could see it and make any other needed suggestions.
5. How did issues of authority or power
affect the team?
In my opinion, there were no real
issues with authority or power as of yet. Suggestions were made to the
assignment and we each discussed the outcome. As Harish stated he had
previously taken MSLD 630 and was familiar with the group assignment, his
suggestion was taken into consideration on how to complete the Team Charter,
however his experience did not override other member' suggestions as other team
members did offer great input on how to complete the assignment.
6. How did collaboration and competition
influence the outcome?
Collaboration was a huge part in
completing this assignment as each team member offered a variety of suggestions
as to how the group should be run so it could be successful. Suggestions from
each member were provided and competition with those suggestions was fairly nonexistent
as the group dynamic flowed very well.
7. Did team members make process
interventions?
I think a few members made process
interventions when suggestions were made on completion and submission of the
assignment. The first process intervention was made by the group when the
subject of individual assignments arose. Harish suggested the group be written in
a solo voice, Glynn suggested a few section should be written individually and
I suggested we merge their two suggestions. The second process intervention was
when I decided to step out of the box and submit the assignment so the rest of
the team could rest easy and know that the work had been done and submitted. While
each intervention was suggested by a specific team member, the other members of
the team either offered suggestions to the change or ensured communication was
delivered to the new process that would take place.
I think our group had great
communication and did a good job at managing conflict. I think we all used the Integrating
technique as there was a high concern for self and others and there was a
concern for problem solving, openness, sharing of information and the examination
of differences to reach a consensus decision.
No comments:
Post a Comment