I think there are many qualities a
leader should embody in order to be successful. However, I also believe that
success is measured by different people in many different ways. Some leaders
may deem themselves successful because they have landed a multibillion dollar
deal, while others may feel successful because they are respected by their team
and experience minimal hurdles or failures in completing projects. While there
are a range of ways a leader can become successful I think it is important to
remember that all leaders fail at one point in time and it is from their
mistakes as well as others that they learn the qualities it takes to be a great
leader.
In my opinion in order for leaders
to be successful they should be strong willed and dedicated to their jobs,
teams, tasks and projects. Effective interpersonal and communication skills are
needed to ensure that they are able to maintain successful and respectable
professional relationships. Leaders should be creative, level headed and
focused and should offer respect at all levels of an organization. They should
be confident and competent in their work and compassionate to their
subordinates.
In order to be successful leaders
should not command excellence but build it from the ground up. Great leaders maintain
a genuine character which assists with the continued development of their
skills, traits and ethical values. True leaders are honest, fair, and inspiring.
They do not make judgments on others and continuously do their best to better
themselves.
There is one leader who I know
that inspires me to lead in such a way that challenges me but also encourages
me to be exactly who I am. This leader works for Embry-Riddle Worldwide and at
one point was my boss. I have seen this gentleman time and time again single
handedly run his department as well as a second that was placed upon him not
too long ago. His colleagues and subordinates treat him with nothing but
respect and he is appreciated by so many others.
This leader has offered to coach
me in various areas of both my personal life and professional career and has
helped me succeed in the areas of my life I wanted to better myself in. He is
compassionate and caring yet expects nothing but your best and will do anything
he can to help you offer your best even on your worst day. I think this
gentleman is the epitome of what it is to be a leader and has become a great
friend of mine over the years. A goal I have set for myself is to one day try
to lead a team and department the way he has in the past 5 years that I have
known him. I wish there were many more leaders like him in the world, however
if there were, it is likely that he would not be as appreciated as he is.
Cassandra R.
No comments:
Post a Comment