Most leadership models
have the assumption of oligarchy – leadership is done by a few leaders over
many followers. If polyarchy is fast replacing the old oligarchy assumptions
does this make these old leadership models redundant? Reflecting on traditional
leadership from the perspective of complex adaptive leadership, address the
implications and how they will affect you as a leader in the future. What
impact will they have on your future strategy?
In
my personal opinion I think that polyarchy is replacing oligarchic leadership modules
however I believe that while it appears to be happening at a rapid pace,
oligarchic leadership will continue to be here a bit longer than some
organizations or individuals may want it. This is because there are still some
old world leaders who believe in the traditions top down method of leadership.
They are not as open to ideas coming from the bottom and are not as welcoming
to upward communication.
In
order for polyarchy to take place leaders have to open to the ideas of the new
revolution and treat their followers as more of an equal than a lower level
subordinate. Leaders need to open their eyes to all of the knowledge and skill
that a lower level employee can bring to a position and create an atmosphere
where those skills are welcomed by their employees instead of seen as a threat.
If this was to occur it would allow for workers who are not in management positions
to gain the skills necessary to lead teams and gain the proficiency and dexterity
to become leaders on their own teams and later prove their leadership aptitude
in various other positions in their current organization or another.
The
idea of polyarchy affects me as a leader as it has opened my eyes on how to
become a better leader with more effective means of teaching my employees and
co workers the skills that I have learned over the years and how they can
incorporate those skills into their own leadership training. It has also
changed me into a believer of effective following and how I can learn to be a
better follower and learn various ways of making the importance of followership
known across my team so it is welcomed as a competitive edge rather than a disadvantage.
I think that my future strategy would be to use all the skills I learned in
this class and many others in this degree program as they have all enhanced my
learning and leaderships skills in one way or another. The teachings in this course
provide a strategic competitive advantage for me to achieve the goals I have
set for myself as I am able to see a clearer picture of who it is I want to
become and how I deem myself successful.
Cassandra R.
No comments:
Post a Comment