Use Chapters 5 and 6 (LaFollette, 2007) as the
foundation for your reflections regarding if affirmative action is ethical. Be
sure to include external sourced content. Present your opinion, support your
opinion, and opposing viewpoints.
Affirmative action is defined as
“the practice of giving special consideration to minorities and women in hiring
and school placement” (LaFollette 2007).
While Affirmative action was once welcomed in our society, the politics
of its stance have been put to the test from opponents who believe that
affirmative action should not be permissible in the United States. While the
argument of Affirmative action pros and cons have been put to the test, and I
can admit that there are various factors that play a role in my personal
opinions in regards to the topic. While I agree with affirmative action, I also
believe that my personal experiences have helped me to shape my views on it.
The arguments against Affirmative
action say that “affirmative action is merely reverse discrimination”
(LaFollette 2007). While I can see how other races would view this as such, I
would have to argue that affirmative action is not discrimination of Caucasians
as the law was not put into place with the image that Caucasians were inferior
to African Americans. In fact, research shows that Caucasians “maintain
disproportionate political, economic and social power” (LaFollette 2007),
leading us to believe that affirmative action is more required than some may believe
it to be in order to help balance society’s cultural and economic businesses, school
systems, and other social outlets.
Two other objections to affirmative
action argue that the practice of affirmative action hurts Caucasian applicants
who may be more qualified than African American applicants that are opting for
the same positions and who are also not responsible for the racism and harm
placed upon African Americans many years ago. In this circumstance I can agree
that compensatory justice is not fair for Caucasians that are not responsible
for damage caused to the African American community. While I do agree that Caucasians
should not be responsible for the actions or sins of their parents or
grandparents, I would argue that the effects of their treatment have rippled
into our present and have significantly limited their opportunities and have
enhanced the opportunities for the Caucasian community. As stated in the text “one
cannot plausibly think that the history of discrimination against blacks does
not affect the wealth, status and opportunities of contemporary blacks. The
claim that this systematic mistreatment did not benefit whites is equally
dubious” (LaFolette 2007).
The fourth argument against
affirmative action is that the law stigmatizes African Americans. I do not have
an argument for this objection rather I have an argument against it. While this
objection may hold some truth, I do not feel that the hiring or acceptance of
African Americans should be viewed as stigmatizing as the assumption that an
African American may not be fully qualified for a position based solely on
their race is racism in itself. Another argument I have is that the idea behind
affirmative action isn’t to allow unqualified candidates for employment or
schooling opportunities but to ensure that all applicants are fully qualified
and capable of meeting the required duties and responsibilities placed before
them either in education or employment.
The final argument against
Affirmative action is that the law deprives and restricts employers from hiring
whoever they want. While some believe that this may not harm businesses and social
communities, I happen to disagree. If businesses were able to hire whoever they
wanted then there would be more of a possibility for businesses to hire friends
and family without the employee being qualified for the position. Affirmative
action helps to create a balanced employment community by requiring qualified
employees to join the organization despite who they may or may not know. It is
overlooked that in this day and age “we now distribute many jobs and school
positions on grounds other than merit. Businesses regularly hire close family
members, distant relatives, friends and friends of friends” (LaFollette 2007).
In my opinion, Affirmative action is ethical as it
allows for a balance in our community at all levels, not just racial, but
social, and cultural as well. The idea behind a balance of culture is important
to me as I am also a minority. I think that all people of all races, creeds,
ethnicities, religion, etc, should be considered for opportunities in school
systems as well as businesses as it allows for diversity and the chance for
individuals to do what they can to provide for their families and create
opportunities for their children and families, in hopes that they are building
a foundation of future successes.
Cassandra
R.
References
LaFollette,
H. (2007). The practice of ethics. Malden, MA: WileyBlackwell.
No comments:
Post a Comment