Sunday, February 3, 2013

A632.3.4.RB Reflections on Decision Making_Reyes, Cassandra


Shoemaker and Russo discuss the hazards associated with "frame blindness" and how to guard against it. Discuss three ways you can avoid "framing traps" and provide a detailed example of each from your life experience. Could you have framed each situation differently? What did the exercise teach you about complex decision-making? What additional tools or "frames" would've helped you through the process? How much "risk" do you feel was in your recommendation? What did you learn about yourself through this exercise?


            Frame blindness exists when we are unaware of our very own frames. Unfortunately, many of us look at the conflicts we face in one way instead of looking at it from a variety of ways. Most of the time, this mistake is unintentional and in making this mistake many people operate form outdated frames. In order to assist with the correction of this issue we need to concentrate in looking into what causes frame blindness and the steps we can take in order to correct the conflicts we are continuing to create amongst ourselves.

            The first way to assist with managing frames and avoiding the traps that frames provide us is to see the frame by conducting a frame audit. In order to audit a frame we need to first surface the frames, understand the frames of others, and appreciate emerging frames. One example where I had to conduct a frame audit was when my manager had hired a new employee in which I did not agree with his choice. The new hire was rude, condescending and lazy. I could not understand for the life of me what my boss had seen in him and why he would ever hire such an individual. My frame audit consisted of trying to open my eyes to see what my boss may have liked in this individual. While I disliked the guy, many people seemed to think he was charismatic. I watched him over the next few months and while he was lazy, he was very much like a car salesman. He knew exactly what to say to others to make them feel good and bring them on board with things. I instantly knew how he made it through the interview process. It was clear he was good at talking his way through things.

            I tried to understand how my bosses frame of mind in bringing this person onto our team and decided to put myself in his shoes. The new hire was personable and friendly and while he was rude and condescending to me, he did not appear to be that way with students. In actuality he was able to bring students on board, get them excited about their degrees and have them submit an application. It was clear that this individuals issues were not with our customers, however he had a difficult time being placed in a team environment and taking direction from others. Once I understood why he was hired, I began to appreciate my manager’s ability to look past the discrepancies of his personality that I clearly saw. My manager’s frame of mind was able to detect traits that I was unable to at first and while I did not agree with his choice, I could not help but respect it.

            The second way to avoid framing is to identify and change inadequate frames. To do this we must check and see if our frames are effective, observe the symptoms of frame misfit, question our reference points, and recognize your key assumptions. There have been many times where I have had to identify my own frame of mind and change them; however my example revolves around a current co worker of mine. My coworker is a great friend however due to her motherly nature she has on occasion made me feel as though she is talking to a child. While she is a few years older than me our personal and professional lives are similar in nature, providing us a pretty level playing field, however due to our four year age difference she tends to act as though she knows more than I do. While I try not to take this to heart it is sometimes difficult as in my opinion it does not matter how old you are to have many life experience.

            One day my friend asked if there was anything I ever wanted to tell her I could. I decided to speak up or forever hold my peace. “I feel as though you speak to me like I am a child and sometimes in a condescending manner.”The words had come out and I instantly wondered why I had said anything. “Really?”my friend answered? “Yes” I said. “Oh my gosh, I am so sorry” my friend replied. She proceeded to tell me that she was only trying to help me with some of the issues I had been having as she had experienced them herself and wished she had someone to talk to when she was going through them. She figured since she did not have anyone at the time, she almost felt a duty to help me as best as she could. She didn’t want me to make the same mistakes she did and wanted to see me happy in the choices that I made and therefore laid her opinions and suggestion on the table pretty thick. Her assumption was if she didn’t help me that she would not be a good friend and that was why she might have come across that way. Interestingly enough, my friend thanked me for telling her. She said she was able to look into herself and be more aware of the way she was coming across. In this scenario my friend was able to check and see if her frames had been effective, observe the symptoms of frame misfit, question her reference points and recognize her assumptions.

            The final way to avoid framing traps is to master techniques for reframing. To accomplish this we must use multiple frames, look for ways to align frames, change metaphors to regain control of a frame, challenge others reference points, sketch a frame, build new frames for new situations and speak to other frames. A great example of this is therapy. My friend and her husband are currently seeking marriage counseling, while they have a good marriage they thought they could make it better if they were able to better communicate with one another. Their counselor discussed each of their frame of mind and how each individual sent and received messages. The biggest thing they learned through counseling is that each individual has a different language of love. What is important to one may not be significant to another and how one may show affection may not be the same as how another may show it.

            My friend and her husband learned that each of them have different opinions and viewpoints and they each needed to find a way to merge their frame of mind so they could better understand and communicate with one another. They learned that in order to achieve better communication they needed to change the way they thought by looking at their spouse’s frame of mind without judgment or fear and challenge each other with respect. They also needed to get rid of their old frame of thought and build new ones together where they would be able to effectively interact with one another in a positive and welcoming environment. My friend has told me that counseling has been such a great experience for them both and has made their marriage that much stronger just by being able to better understand each other. Therefore, I have considered pursuing marriage counseling with my husband so we can achieve the same results. It is interesting to see how one’s frame of mind can cause conflict with another, but the opening up of that mind can make all the difference.

            I think each example has the opportunity to be framed differently. I believe that if the effort is put in to open up your mind to something, a different viewpoint is always possible and can most of the time produce better more effective outcomes. I think that the exercise taught me that surfacing frames, identifying them and developing and creating new frames is a lengthy process that is not easily achieved. I think that different frames, perceptions, viewpoints, or opinions, make the process extremely difficult in being able to better the outcomes of our differences as it can be hard to change our train of thought.

            Other tools I could have used to help me through the process would have been; focus on the objective, identify all constraints, analysis of assumptions, reference point analysis and prospective hindsight. I believe that use of each of these strategies can better assist me with making better choices and being able to open up my mind to new viewpoint that I didn’t think was possible. Through my choices I feel as though I have offered a certain amount of risk; however I do not feel it was extensive. I tend to play it safe most of the time so in actuality I think that I should probably take more risk with any recommendations I may offer in the future.

            Lastly, I believe what I learned most is something that I already knew. Life itself is a work in progress. I am always trying to better myself and make better choices, for myself and my family in both a professional and personal regard. I was reminded that change is not easy and that it takes a strong individual to stay dedicated to something that is important to them. Changing someone perspective can be a tasking, difficult, lengthy process but I have learned that it can also be rewarding. I think the biggest lesson I learned from this exercise is to stick with any changes I am looking to make because as frustrating as it may be to accomplish, the benefits reaped from the change can offer amazing, life changing results.

Cassandra R.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment