Sunday, February 17, 2013

A632.5.5.RB Protected Values in Decision Making_Reyes,Cassandra


Reflect on the concept map that you created in the previous exercise and consider the Dan Gilbert video from module one. Discuss your protected values and how far you are willing to go to support those values. Explore the level of protection associated with each of your major values identified in the concept map and detail your thoughts on each. Finally, discuss how those protected values would influence your decision-making.


                Protected values are those that offer moral values and reasoning. As the Wharton text states “Values are distinct from preferences, utility, desires and attitudes. The distinction are by no means universally agreed upon but we propose some distinguishing characteristics, in hopes of better clarifying what we mean by value.” Values are intended to be explicit and reflective to the holder and are imperative as they offer the necessary judgments it may take to suggest valuable and favorable outcomes. While preference sometimes goes hand in hand with values, it also presents an inconsistency and contradiction to the true and protected values some people hold.

            The values that are most important to me are my family, health and job. While these values may seem simple to some, in my personal opinion these three things assist with creating a foundation for my present and the future of my family. While values such as healthcare and economical reform might be important to others, I believe that without a clear set foundation to begin with, there would be no room for values such as these. Therefore, I am willing to do everything I can to continue to create and build a foundation for myself and my family to ensure that our futures are set on a path that is more than likely to produce favorable valuable outcomes.

            Family is a protected value of mine as it is my sole reason for living. I do my best to make decisions that will enhance the positive experiences my family encounters and try to present outcomes to my husband and daughter that will fall in their favor. Family is the glue that holds everything together and in turn should be treated in such a manner that offers the most minute of details to be considered. If family was not on my list of protected values I feel as though I would not have a solid foundation to work off of that would keep me motivated to continue to better myself and the choices that I make on a daily basis. I must admit I am a little over protective when it comes to my family as I feel an instinct to care for and nurture them as best as I can for as long as I am able to.

            Health is also a protected value of mine as good health allows for us to function properly and prevent poor health and disease. Things as simple as an improper diet and an unhealthy lifestyle can cause issues such as mental stress which can lead to feelings of depression or anxiety. The benefits of a healthy lifestyle include energy, happiness, and living free of any disorders that may cause you to feel otherwise. Good health helps you to stay motivated and active and allows you to view life’s perspectives in more of a positive manner. Before my daughter I wasn’t too concerned with living a healthy lifestyle however, after her birth I was instantly hit with the realization that my health was one of the most important things I needed to concentrate on as I wanted to be around long enough to see her grow into being her own woman.

            Work is my final protected value and the reason is because it allows an outlet for me to be creative and think outside the box. My job offers me the ability to be challenged and hard working and to grow and learn every day I am there. While work presents opportunities for advancement and career development, it also presents the ability for my family and I to live the lives we do. My husband and I work very hard not just to tap into our creative outlets, but it also assist us in a variety of financial means. Our jobs help us to keep a roof over our family’s head, put food in our stomachs, but more importantly offers our daughter a place of sanctuary and contentment. A place she knows will always be a safe haven for her. With the economy the way it is, we are lucky to hold such wonderful jobs with an amazing university and don’t take it for granted as there are many others in the world who are struggling with the very things we hold sacred to our hearts.

            My protected values are dear to my heart and while simple they allow me to make decisions that I know will be in the best interest of both me and my family. As the Wharton text states “when faced with a particular decision, we are called upon to figure out what general values are implicated and then weigh these values to maximize utility. This process is difficult when the implicated values are emotional or if two or more values conflict in a way that is not easily resolved.” As I hold my protected values close to me it is imperative that the decisions I make are consistent and relative to the outcomes that will have a direct affect on those closest to me. Ensuring that tradeoffs are not proposed into my decision making will allow me to make decisions that do not compromise my beliefs or those of the ones I love.

Cassandra R.

                                                                   References

Hoch, S. J., & Kunreuther, H. C. (2005). Wharton on making decisions. (1st edition.). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment